Among the new releases this week, it is Tamil films like Adithya Varma (an official remake) and the less publicized KD which are either at par or have outshined their contemporaries. A detailed look into how each of the movies have fared:
- Adithya Varma (Tamil): It has been 2 plus years since the original released and the movie still seems to be captivating the audience with its remake versions. Dhruv Vikram's debut movie is gold for those catching the story the first time (Review Here).
- KD (Tamil): After doing well at a bunch of film festivals, KD aka Karuppu Durai with its core theme of 'Thalaikoothal' has been garnering all the attention it can with its commercial run in theater screens. This story of an unexpected bond between an elderly who escapes hid fate and a young kid who helps live him to the fullest is not to be missed (Review Here).
- Frozen 2 (English): A sequel to the famous disney princesses story of Anna and Elsa, Frozen 2 dives deep into the history of the magical elder sister and highlights themes such as colonialism and climate crisis through her story. A must-watch if you are a fan of the series.
- 21 Bridges (English): An action-thriller starring Chadwick Boseman of Black Panther fame, the movie follows the chase of cop-killers and makes for a one-time decent watch.
- Pagalpanti (Hindi): A movie that was aimed as a multi-starrer comic entertaner, Pagalpanti has been this week's big disaster. John Abraham, Arshad Warsi, Pulkit Samrat and Anil Kapoor put up a slapstick comedy show in this story incolving gangsters and youngsters and the response to it hasn't been that great.
- Kettiyolaanu Ente Malakha (Malayalam): A story of a love post-marriage, this movie stars Asif Ali and Veena Nandakumar as the lead couple who swim through their conflicts about physical contact. The movie with its important subject line has opened to mixed reactions.
Lesser-known releases in which are in theater screens this week are Panam Kaaikum Maram (Tamil) and horror genre movies Maggy (Tamil) and Pei Vala Pudicha Kathai (Tamil).