According to the latest release from Tamil Nadu government, movie theatres in the state can function with 100% seating occupancy from November 1, 2021 i.e. Monday. With Diwali falling closely behind, this has come as an additional bonus for movies like Annaatthe (Rajinikanth) and Enemy (Vishal, Arya) that are releasing during the festive holiday.
Movie Theaters in Tamil Nadu: 2020-2021 Timeline
- Mid-March 2020: Cinema halls shut-down statewide due to global pandemic.
- November 10, 2020: Movie theaters re-open at 50% occupancy after remaining closed for 8 months.
- December 31, 2020: TN Govt. allows 100% occupancy in movie theaters.
- January 5, 2021: Center orders TN Govt. to revoke 100% occupancy with immediate effect.
- February 1, 2021: TN Govt. brings back 100% seating capacity in theater halls.
- April 10, 2021: Surge in COVID-19 causes theaters to go back to 50% seating.
- April 26, 2021: Movie theaters statewide are completely shut for the second time.
- August 23, 2021: Theaters re-open with 50% occupancy after 4 months.
- November 1, 2021: Movie Theaters allowed to function at 100% occupancy.
The news has also come as a pleasant boost for Tamil movies scheduled for theatrical release in November like Maanaadu (November 25), Arun Vijay's Borrder, Santhanam' Sabhaapathy, CV Kumar's time-loop film Jango and Murungakkai Chips starring Shanthanu - all of which are releasing on November 19, 2021.
The latest order from Tamil Nadu government also allows movie shootings to take place with sufficient number of workers, provided all those engaged in shooting are vaccinated.